Lit from Within: Ametrine Dreams
-->

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Ametrine Dreams


Hello, Fireflies!

It's the last installment of this month's jewelry theme!  So far, I've done nailart inspired by my Nana's fire opal ring, a faux gold and CZ necklace, my favorite dinosaur pendant, and today, a unique stone pendant from two types of quartz.

The first time I saw a stone like this, I was visiting a friend of the family, and she was wearing this gorgeous half-purple/half yellow pendant.  She said it was called a, "Bolivianita" because it was from Bolivia.


I did a little more research and found out that it's also known as Ametrine, a mix of Amethyst and Citrine - two forms of quartz that are created by the Earth heating the quartz to particular temperatures.  It's rare for one stone to get heated to the two temperatures needed to produce both Amethyst and Citrine, and it seems to only happen in two places in the world.

I have a couple of Ametrine rings, too, and they vary on how the two colors are presented, depending on the color and the cut of the stone.  This is one of my favorites, though it's a little bulky. 


It's also a special stone to me, because my birthstone is the amethyst, and my husband's is the citrine! 


I created the gradient using two jelly polishes - Cuttin' Edge Hot Heels, and LynBDesigns No Place Like Home.  I used a striping brush to do the gold detail with Maybelline Bold Gold.


Have you ever heard of Ametrine?  What do you think of this mix of colors in one stone?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...