Lit from Within: Once You Stamp Over Black..
-->

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Once You Stamp Over Black..


...You'll want to go back to stamping over a light color, because it's soo much easier! Well, maybe just for me.  I had such a time making this mani, and it's maybe my worst stamping ever.

I started with Shany plate SH04, and the single cartoony flower.

Shany plate SH04

My first mistake was trying to use Sinful Colors Whipped (the black matte) as my base.  I'm too spoiled by Cult Nails Nevermore, thick, glossy one-coat black.  So after 2 nails of streaky, thin mess, I just went back to Nevermore.

Finger Paints Paper Mache is my standard white for stamping

Finger Paints Paper Mache is my standard white for stamping, but I don't know what was the problem.  I suspect it was the hand lotion I put on - oh, so carefully to avoid the fingernails - but probably got all over, anyway.  The stamp wouldn't stick, or it would smear.

The stamp wouldn't stick, or it would smear.

Luckily, the shirt I was wearing it with is an abstract floral print, so the highly imperfect flowers actually went with my outfit.  Like a Renoir, it looked great from far away, but a hot mess close up!

Luckily, the shirt I was wearing it with is an abstract floral print, so the highly imperfect flowers actually went with my outfit

Macro shots are so unforgiving.  In the Real World, it's rare for anyone to notice the level of detail or need for perfection that there is in the Nail World.  So, even though it wasn't very good, I wore it anyway - and the people who saw it liked it!  A 'flaw' can sometimes be the very thing that makes the art pretty or unique!

4 comments:

  1. I think this captures the spirit of your shirt really well! You probably already know this, but one of my tricks for stamping over black is to use metallic polishes. Of course, that wouldn't have accomplished what you were going for here, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I hadn't really thought about it. I was so focused on matching my shirt, I got stuck. Metallics would look awesome! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. awwww, you poor girl. I have such a hard time stamping too. I haven't even tried it on my real nails yet. only fakies! So good for you and being brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good! lol. I was only mildly traumatized. I'll try again!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...