Lit from Within: Painted Polish Poinsettias
-->

Friday, December 28, 2012

Painted Polish Poinsettias

I love to see the Poinsettias around the holidays.  We used to get one every year at the university holiday party, and I even got to plant it and have it grow for a while, though I didn't go through the rigamarole you need to do to have it bloom again.  I have a fake white one that I always forget to get out of the garage, though.  

Mani poinsettias are much easier, and you don't have to water them.  I saw this nail art on Dressed Up Nails, and decided to do my version of them.

I started with Rainbow Honey Annual Emotion.


I was totally suckered into buying this one by a blog post.  They played up all the other colors in the silver, and how wonderful it was.  Ok, I will say that in the photo (and even in mine) you can see tinges of other colors.  It is NOT holo, like I thought it was going to be.  In Real Life, you couldn't even see those colors.  It applies like a silver glitter, and it takes two coats to be opaque, because the glitter needs to 'fill in' the spaces, not because it's thin like a polish.  It actually applies like a microglitter, not as a polish, if you can understand my gibberish.


I used Misa Bourbon on the Rocks for the first layer of petals.  It was more brown than I thought it would be, but I loved this color.  The more coats you use, the more red it becomes.


I had received Dazzle Dry Rapid Red in a grab bag.  It's okay - it wouldn't be my goto red polish.  It's a little thin and required 2-3 coats to be opaque, even over the silver.  It also leans a little too cherry-pink for me. 


The leaves are China Glaze Running in Circles from their Cirque du Soleil collection.  Love this bright green, with a nice shimmer.  I added a little bit more of Misa Bourbon on the Rocks for details., and finished off each flower with a rhinestone in the center, topped off with lots of Seche Vite to lock it in.




Are you decorating the house or your nails with poinsettias this holiday? 

2 comments:

  1. Rainbow Honey Annual Emotion is sooo awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You drink the kool-aid, too, Phyrra? lol. I love some RH, but this one was just okay.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...